Sunday, January 22, 2023

Afromexican article that you must read!

 Check out this amazing article from Black Girl Nerds on AfroLatinx people and history!!




 Sometimes the media or history books won’t tell you everything, and you have to have some experiences and get out to know and learn of new things. 

Growing up, telemundo was my initial liaison into some Spanish media/pop culture. They never (or at least rarely , it’s been YEARS since I was an active tv watcher in general, and I am not fond of making generalizations) showcased darker skinned Latinx people, let alone historical figures.

It seemed at the time for me, that Latinx people were only of light complexion since that was what I could see. As a kid, I don’t think I can even recall any celebs that were AfroLatinx, compared to when I had switched over into all the jpop stuff and being acquainted with Crystal Kay and some of her songs. 
I wonder how I would have felt if, even as a black American, how I’d react knowing that Spaniards, Mexicans etc were darker or had Afro decent than just what happened on plantations, or in places where the people are obviously Black from the Slave trade (the places that were covered mainly in the books I read) 

So, I am pretty grateful to be able to come across this article and learn new things about this world and the people on it. Things that have been kept hidden due to what schools WANT and being paid for us to know. I am sure that AfroLatinx kids can feel more included and special with info like this around too! ✨

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts... I'd love to hear from you! Interesting insights may appear in a future post!